Wednesday, April 15, 2015

ART QUOTES

It's Tax Day, which means (at least here in America) that it isn't the happiest of days. So cheer up fellow artists or art lovers! Here is a collection of 20 inspiring and wonderful quotes which I've collected over the years that I keep in my sketchbook and flip to whenever I need a little push. It's a random grouping of quotes that will either get you pumped up and ready to work or view art a little differently than you did before.

"Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable." -Cesar A. Cruz

"Date yourself. Take yourself out to eat. Don't share your popcorn at the movies with anyone. Stroll around an art museum alone. Fall in love with canvases. Fall in love with yourself." -unknown

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -Harry S. Truman

"All progress occurs because people dare to be different." -Harry Millner

"Art is not what you see but what you make others see." -Edgar Degas

"The best things in life aren't things." -Art Buchwald

"Art is the achievement of stillness in the midst of chaos." -Saul Bellow

"When the individuality of the artist begins to express itself, what the artist gains in the way of liberty he loses in the way of order." -Pablo Picasso

"I began to feel that the artist is not exempt from life. There is no way out from seeing art as a reflection or meditation or a comment on life. I became interested in the process, including the artist's life. I became interested in how art reflected life issues, or existential issues with which we are all involved." -Donald Kuspit

"I paint the sort of paintings I can, not the ones I necessarily want." -Lucian Freud

"I always felt that my work hadn't much to do with art" "I ignored the fact that, after all, art derives from art." -Lucian Freud

"As far as I am concerned the paint is the person. I want paint to work for me as flesh does." -Lucian Freud

"Art school has taught me that my greatest tool is myself"

"Stop thinking about artwork as objects, and start thinking about them as triggers for experiences. That solves a lot of problems: we don't have to argue whether photographs are art; or whether performances are art or whether Carl Ander's bricks or Little Richard's 'Long Tall Sally' are art, because we say, 'Art is something that happens, a process, not a quality and all sorts of things can make it happen'... [w]hat makes a work of art 'good' for you is not something that is already 'inside' it, but somethings that happens inside you - so the value of the work lies in the degree to which it can help you have the kind of experience that you call art." -Brian Eno

"The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life." -William Faulkner

"Art and love are the same thing: it's the process of seeing yourself in things that are not you." -Chuck Klosterman

"Art is the concrete representation of our most subtle feelings." -Agnes Martin

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." -Pablo Picasso

"Creativity takes courage." -Henri Matisse

"If I do nothing, if I study nothing, if i cease searching, then, woe is me, I am lost...keep going, keep going come what may." -Vincent van Gogh 

  I believe that all of these quotes can be applied to any situation and can be viewed a million different ways. That is the amazing things about art, it's always up for interpretation (I mean seriously how many of those began with "Art is..."). Comment below or tweet at me with your favorite art quotes @ArtOtter

No comments:

Post a Comment